Licensing of Lisaac

Jeremy Cowgar jeremy at cowgar.com
Wed Aug 26 12:15:44 UTC 2009

Watching some of the French email's go by, I see quite a few references
to GPLv3. Here's the deal... If Lisaac is licensed under the GPLv3, then
that will prevent any commercial development (software for sale w/o
source code) from being created. This will cut Lisaac out of a large
market.

The compiler can be licensed as GPLv3, but the library cannot. That
library is translated into C code. If the library is licensed as GPLv3,
then the C code that results from the translation of that library is
also licensed as GPLv3. Then, John Doe, who wants to create a software
package for sale, has to distribute his source code as well because he
is linking to GPLv3 code (the library).

I hope that the intention of Lisaac is to allow John Doe to be able to
create software that he can choose to distribute however he pleases?
i.e. he can license it as open source or he can license it as commercial
software and sell it.

If this is the intention, then I can offer some alternative open source
licenses that will protect Lisaac but also provide true freedom for the
developer, but please do not distribute Lisaac as GPLv3.

--
Jeremy Cowgar <jeremy at cowgar.com>