Licensing of Lisaac

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 13:33:37 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 03:25 PM, Nicolas Boulay wrote:
> You can't reuse a code in GPL in a BSD project if the whole is a
> "combined form of work". That means if you project absolutrly need a
> GPL code (linked or thouth the network, like a MYSQL server), you need
> to follow GPL rules.
>
> Thats our main problem today. That's  the "vaccine" behavior of the
> GPL, that is too strong for us.

What I'm saying is that you can use MIT code (my code) in a GPL project
(Lisaac)

The MIT licence allows you to do whatever you like with the code, even
re-license it to BSD, LGPL, GPL, whatever ... Of course, if the MIT code
is used in a GPL project, the project as a whole stays GPL. But you can
always take the MIT licensed parts apart and create a project not GPL
licensed.

And, I wanted to add. All the code I wrote on the Lisaac project (lib,
compiler, anywhere) is MIT licensed. It means that you can do whatever
you like with it. Ultimately it gives you the power to change the
license as you like, without having to ask me.

I wanted to say that because I feel that with more and more developers,
changing the licence can become difficult. Perhaps we should think about
giving all our right of the code we write to some sort of organization
that would have the power to change the license, without having to ask
all the developers.

--
Mildred Ki'Lya
╭───────── mildred593@online.fr ──────────