debian package and 0.39_beta thoughts

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 22:29:02 UTC 2009

On 12/05/2009 11:11 PM, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> In fact it seems to me that some changes in stable (work done in 2009-11-11 by Myldred) is not part of master.
> This cause a problem because master do not represent the next stable version. when you are working and testing
> the master branch you are missing a few stables "features".
>
> So it would be nice instead of merging master into stable, EXCEPTIONNALY here to merge stable into master
> to start on the right foot then to only add changes into master.

I think this is part of the refactoring of the git repository that has
yet to happen.
See the topic: New Git Repositories Organization

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/lisaac-devel/2009-November/000579.html

When the stable branch was created, it was to have a stable version in
which all commits would be working. Benoit could continue working on his
master branch and break things from time to time.

So I used this branch (and I think others did as well) to add minor
changes that wouldn't break the compiler but only improve it.
Unfortunately the stable branch was never merged in master.

When the master branch started to become stable, I decided to just merge
it in the stable branch. The result had fewer bugs (Ben fixed some bugs
in master), it couldn't do any harm. And we needed a merge. The problem
is that the longer we wait to merge, the more difficult it becomes.

Now, I think that with the new repository organization, the branch
stable and master are to become one, and it would be called master. Any
other branch should be named <author>-<feature>

But this is slow, like everything else.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya