More slot confusion (same functionality, different names)

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:01:50 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 03:13 PM, Jeremy @ Cowgar wrote:
>   These  functions  are  exactly  the  same (except they use different
>   parameter  names,  which is not really good style). Another place in
>   code  there  is  index_of  ch:CHARACTER since start_index:INTEGER...
>   Thus, it's easy to see that index_of is is first_index_of.
>
>   All  these  choices makes it harder for a new person to learn Lisaac
>   and  also  makes code inconsistent. In an application, one developer
>   uses  index_of  and  another  uses  first_index_of  just  because of
>   stylist reasons.

I think the policy is that it's better to have more slots, with full
names than less.

I suppose that at first we had first_index_of and last_index_of, but
index_of was created as a shortcut for first_index_of (since that will
be probably the most used slot).

I think this policy makes sense since Lisaac doesn't permit default
values for parameters. As a consequence if you want to create a slot
with a default parameter, you create a second slot with no parameter
that calls the first. You end up with many slots that are very similar.

Now, I don't know how the documentation is, but I think all those
similar slots ought to be described together, so we know they are
related, and that some are only alias slots.

Mildred.

--
Mildred Ki'Lya
╭───────── mildred593@online.fr ──────────