[lisaac-Bugs][312126] install lisaac fails: lisaac fails executing external command.

lisaac-bugs at alioth.debian.org lisaac-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun Aug 15 09:23:56 UTC 2010

Bugs item #312126, was changed at 2009-12-01 22:15 by Mildred Ki'Lya
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413092&aid=312126&group_id=100200

Target Milestone: None
Category: None
Tags: None

Initial Comment:
I have tried to install 0.39 tar.gz, and the installation process fails. I works on debian 5.0.3 as normal user.

I have chosen to run install_lisaac as a user. Here's the end of the process:

Step 4/5 : Compilation of Lisaac compiler.
  Execute command `gcc -O2 bin/lisaac.c -o bin/lisaac' (please wait ...)
  Auto-install fail !
  You want to compile a `bin/lisaac.c' file.

Step 5/5 : Compilation of Shorter tool.
=======================================
  Compile `shorter' tools for your system (please wait ...)
  Sorry, `shorter' not ready...

Welcome to the Lisaac World !
=============================
  Installation successfull.
  Run `lisaac' to compile.

With some difficulty I can have a (not really) running lissac, but it always fails when launching gcc.

§gcc -O2 bin/lisaac.c -o bin/lisaac
§rm make.lip && cp make.lip.sample make.lip
$ lisaac src/make.lip -shorter  -boost -o bin/shorter -gcc -Isrc/.
Depending pass: ........................... (27)
Executing pass: *...............*....*.. (24)
 => 5 second(s).
run `gcc bin/shorter.c -o bin/shorter -lm  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Isrc/.'
FAILUREThe compiled install_lisaac.c fails compiling lisaac with gcc.

gcc launched manuallly works fine.
gar!
$ gcc bin/shorter.c -o bin/shorter -lm  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Isrc/.
$

I can use lisaac on the hello_world example, but the same external command launching error appears:
$ lisaac hello_world
Depending pass: .......... (10)
Executing pass: *........*.. (12)
 => 1 second(s).
run `gcc ./hello_world.c -o ./hello_world -lm '
FAILURE!

But I can compile it manually:
$ gcc ./hello_world.c -o ./hello_world -lm
$ ./hello_world
Hello world !

Regards,
--
yves

Date: 2010-08-15 11:23

Message:
Check the available memory you have.

When another process is executed using fork(), the operating system first checks that there is enough available memory to clone the entire process (even if it does copy on write).

Comment By: brice berna (brendel-guest)
Date: 2010-05-09 13:58

Message:
Yesterday, I have spend some hours to try to discover what was wrong, and today I just try and everything works fine, install_lisaac and LIP.
The occupation of the memory is the same, and i don't have change anything.
My shell is bash and I have all compiling environnement installed.

However I have seen on some forum that other people have same problem on Debian.

So, even if it seems it's an isolated case,  I post what I observed.

Even the line "ENVIRONMENT.execute_command("cp make.lip.sample make.lip") which don't require memory, was failing. strace show that the system call clone() which is call by fork() which is call by system() which is call by ENVIRONMENT.execute_command() return -1 with ENOMEM.
So it seems there was a problem with memory, but
1) I had 1GB of RAM free
2) cp don't need much memory

Comment By: Xavier Oswald (xoswald)
Date: 2010-05-09 03:54

Message:
And about LIP, the first thing that come to my mind is that you maybe have a special shell. I know that lisaac works fine with bash and zsh. xoswald at debian.org

Comment By: Xavier Oswald (xoswald)
Date: 2010-05-09 03:52

Message:
Hi,

Im running a debian sid 64 and don't have any problem with the latest rc release.

Are you sure that you have the full gcc compiler. I suggest to install 'aptitude install build-essential' and btw, Lisaac need at least 750Mb of ram for information. (That's due to global compilation)

Greetings,
xoswald at debian.

Comment By: brice berna (brendel-guest)
Date: 2010-05-09 00:15

Message:
I have same bug on Debian Sid. I don't know exactly what informations can be usefull, I have 2GB of memory.
In addition, the built-in function "run cmd:STRING :INTEGER" of LIP code seems not working (it don't execute the command given and return a non-zero value), so the function "add_lib" of the given make.lip return an error with any argument, for now I have removed the body.

Please details what informations you need.

Comment By: Benoit Sonntag (sonntag-guest)
Date: 2009-12-09 22:00

Message:
Yves, How much do you have of RAM memory ?