[Logcheck-devel] permissions issue with logcheck.conf after upgrade

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Dec 20 02:12:38 UTC 2004

I ran into a little glitch after upgrading logcheck from 1.2.31 to
1.2.32.  I think the cause was a peculiarity of my system, but in case
it's not, or it's worth a release note, I thought I'd let you know.

After the upgrade I started getting:
/usr/sbin/logcheck: line 482: /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf: Permission
denied
mail: You must specify direct recipients with -s, -c, or -b

The peculiarity is that I keep logcheck.conf under rcs, and merged in
the changes from the latest release.  Probably because of this,
logcheck.conf ended up with root as owner and group.  All the other
files have logcheck as the owner.

I fixed up the group ownership, and I expect that will fix the problem.
I assume the second error line was caused by the inability to read mail
recipients names out of logcheck.conf.

If logcheck changed the id it runs under in the last release, or if
permissions/ownership of the conf files changed, it might be worth a
note.

Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 476-9856
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840                     hm:  (415) 550-1062