[Logcheck-devel] current bugs + next release

maks attems debian at sternwelten.at
Mon May 3 19:56:56 UTC 2004

hey :)

i have some questions regarding logcheck, thanks for your time.

1) is there any difference in actual debian sarge
   between the /var/tmp partition and /tmp ?
   (remember reading some "esoteric" notes about /var/tmp being
    more secure than /tmp)
i would like to commit my patch from #242284,
but prefer to know more about that issue.

2) woody bugs .. apart from grave data loses or security bugs,
   do we need to support it's version and how?

the answer directly affects some high ranked bug reports.
and a more random feature request #243019, which i would
like to close.

3) next release .. todd please wait for current to migrate for sarge,
   helps for better testing.
   you missed the version string of last ;) look at logcheck -v
   I'll promise for the next times to pump up both version nr. in
   changelog and logcheck,
   but didn't knew anything about your release timing.

4) #243019 .. i've verified it's purpose, so i'll repeat the question:
   we do ignore crontab edits but not crontab lists.

well it's easy to add crontab -l log message, but should we ignore
crontab -e?

5) mailing-lists: logcheck-commits and logcheck-user have no archive?

6) bash dependency .. not very happy about that one,
   bashism is a valid bug in my eyes ..
   but like todd said .. not high priority

7) name things that *must*, *should* go in sarge?

  we need to work on those in order to get them ready
  in the next 2 or 3 releases (well maybe we will have
  more time, but i hope not).

on my side i'm working on postfix, innd rules.
the better our rules the more user we may get?!
we do have bug reports regarding bind + sudo + dhcp3 + samba +
mountd + oidentd.
would be nice if effort would be joined also on that side :)

8) we have a first pt_br translation, do we need to post on
   a translators mailing-list that we are happily integrating
   those?

9) how can we ask our users how many times logcheck should be
   run with priority medium and default to every hour?
   (bonus: #226937 #222240)

beside all questions thanks for the nice team project
and I'm confident that bug-squashing will be successful.
a++ maks