[Logcheck-devel] Re: logcheck

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Oct 19 23:38:47 UTC 2004

also sprach maks attems <debian at sternwelten.at> [2004.10.18.1051 +0200]:
> please ask such questions on logcheck-devel,
> everyone from the team is reading it.

Alfie referred me directly to you... that does not diminish or shift
blame, so please excuse. I should have thought first, then hit 'y'.

> personaly i prefer several local-* files contra one big local
> file. both are used. local file rules won't be overwritten by
> newly added packages rules.

They won't be anyway because package rules are always conffiles. But
I get your point.

> current infos on how to write rules are documented in
> /usr/share/doc/logcheck-database/README.logcheck-database.gz

Somehow, this seems to have evaded me. I guess because it's not in
the logcheck package. Stupid me.

also sprach maks attems <debian at sternwelten.at> [2004.10.18.1138 +0200]:
> it's documented in a bit different way and point of view:
> /usr/share/doc/logcheck/README.Maintainer

Okay, if I may say, then this could be clearer. Anyway, I spotted
a couple of small errors in that file:

23c23
< (i.e. server = server + paranoid) you should try to split your
---
> (i.e. server = server + workstation) you should try to split your
39c39
< symlinks. If your contains .'s you should replace them with _'s so
---
> symlinks. If your filenames contain .'s, you should replace them with _'s so
51c51
< see if we have included them first.  If we allready have rules and you
---
> see if we have included them first.  If we already have rules and you
53c53
< so we can avoid filename confilcts.
---
> so we can avoid filename conflicts.