[Logcheck-devel] debug logs bis

maximilian attems debian at sternwelten.at
Tue Apr 19 16:23:23 UTC 2005

hello guys,

usually when confronted to debug messages,
we decline because of the huge amount of work they represent.
also our ruleset is quite impressive yet, and needs some processing.

at our local debian meeting some admin showed me his logcheck rules,
some of which i'll incorporate next hours.
concerning ppp he said that he needed to run the pppd daemon in debug
modus for easier reaction when user phones him telling him that
the connection doesn't work. otherways he would need to turn debug on,
ask the guy to retry, knowing that it wont work, but needing to collect
the info and then afterwards correcting stuff, testing and then only
turning debug off.

almost any ppp tutorial features an debug line.
so our policy regarding debug messages may be too strict,
and may need to be looked at case by case.

what do you think?
thanks for your feedback.
a++ maks