[Logcheck-devel] contribution to debian logcheck.

maximilian attems debian at sternwelten.at
Thu Sep 1 16:11:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005, Jitendra Pawar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have some questions regarding contributing to debian logcheck, thanks
> for your time.
>
> I would like to do some work and contribute to debian. I already did
> contribution for main line binutils.
>
> I am using Fedora core-3 as my desktop.
> I have downloaded cvs source using command:
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/logcheck login
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/logcheck co
> logcheck
>
> when I tried to run logcheck I got following error:
> [jitendra at chanakya src]$ ./logcheck
> ./logcheck: line 492: /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf: No such file or
> directory
well the current script assumes you have got that file,
as usually when run in a debian env the package management takes care
to install such a file.
a quick guess is that we shouldn't fail and have fallbacks on the top.
i'll investigate that

> ./logcheck: line 604: lockfile-touch: command not found
hmm that's a needed binary to run logcheck in debian they are named
"lockfile-progs". sorry no idea about fedora, but happy to hear

> egrep: /etc/logcheck/logcheck.logfiles: No such file or directory
again we should have a sane default if that file fails.
out of interest could you please post your
ls -l /var/log

> sort: open failed: /tmp/logcheck.jS4437/logoutput/*: No such file or
> directory
well that is a direct consequence of aboves failure,
so not much to worry about.
> ./logcheck: line 86: kill: (4436) - No such process
hmm the bash trap gone crazy, strange.

> 1. Is that all sources need to do development work for logcheck?
yes.

> 2. Shall I need to have Debian desktop ? if not then what additional
> libraries/packages I need to install to run logcheck?

well logcheck is currently developped by debian guys,
so it may need some leverage to get it run on fedora.
i guess it's not that hard, but nobody bothered yet.

> 3. Where can I searchfor document on Building and running gogcheck?

the Makefile, sorry no docs beside what is happening inside of the debian
dir.
but just keep asking and i or probably others too may answer. ;)

> thanks
> :-)
> Jitendra

ok, so i guess you uncovered 2 bugs.  good start!!!
i'll try to fix them soonest.

for real dev access you need an alioth acces,
if you plan to add some stuff please speak to todd.
it's the logcheck team leader.

--
maks