[Logcheck-devel] smart attribute messages

Elmar Hoffmann debian-logcheck-devel-ml at elho.net
Mon Sep 4 14:45:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

on Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 23:40:01 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> Can we please ignore SMART Usage and Prefailure attribute changes?
> The rationale is that smartd will send out separate email anyway
> when something bad happens.
>
> Comments?

smartd does send an email when some attribute failed, but not when one
changes dramatically which could mean something bad is about to
happen.

For example I do have (among others) a rule in my
ignore.d.server/local-smartd on one box that ignores changes of the
Hardware_ECC_Recovered SMART usage attribute in the range 46 to 48 for
a specific drive that did change that value in that range back and
forth regularly.
But at some point a few months ago the value did shoot up to about 70
and I was alarmed of this by logcheck and thus was able to take action
about 2 weeks before smartd started to report a failing self test for
the first time and finally unrecoverable errors.

So I do think that it is a good thing to receive these.

elmar

--

| :' :   Elmar Hoffmann <elho at elho.net>    ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /
`. `'    GPG key available via pgp.net        against HTML email   X
  `-                                                    & vCards  / \