[Logcheck-devel] smart attribute messages

Elmar Hoffmann debian-logcheck-devel-ml at elho.net
Fri Sep 8 13:31:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

on Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 15:14:16 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> While we're on the topic:
>
> Sep  6 14:29:18 piper smartd[5287]: Device:
>   /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor_7Y250M0_Y63XCJRE, SMART Prefailure Attribute:
>   8 Seek_Time_Performance changed from 245 to 244
>
> I started using /dev/disk/by-id/* because DEVICESCAN is broken and
> my disks would just randomly change order. Maybe it's worth to move
> away from /dev/[sh]d[a-z]...

Yes, the current pattern also does not work with newer 3ware
controllers as I just found out. For SMART stuff these are accessed
via the /dev/tw[ae][[:digit:]]+ node of the controller instead of the
/dev/sd[a-z] node of the unit.
And then there is the cciss stuff for Compaq Smart Array controllers,
see smartctl(8) which isn't handled by the current rules either.

Maybe a broader /dev/[[:alpha:]]+ in the rules won't hurt?

elmar

--

| :' :   Elmar Hoffmann <elho at elho.net>    ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /
`. `'    GPG key available via pgp.net        against HTML email   X
  `-                                                    & vCards  / \