[Logcheck-users] logcheck alerting for NTP every six hours

Brian C brianwc at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 5 16:21:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm running logcheck 1.2.39 on Debian Sarge (stable).

At 9:00am, 3:00pm, 9:00pm and 3:00am each day I get an email alert from
logcheck that looks like this:

System Events
Oct  5 09:00:03 [hostname] NTP: Wed 05 Oct 2005 09:00:03 AM PDT

I just discovered logcheck a couple days ago and like it a lot, but
figuring out how to edit the ignore lists in order to get rid of an
alert like this completely escapes me. I don't know anything about regex
and what I've read so far makes my head spin. I also get a long daily
alert from snort that I may want to ignore. Can someone provide a
step-by-step HOWTO on how to go from an alert you don't want to an
edited ignore file that disposes of it (and only it). Thanks.

Brian