[Logcheck-users] logcheck alerting for NTP every six hours

Jamie L. Penman-Smithson lists at silverdream.org
Wed Oct 5 17:07:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 09:21 -0700, Brian C wrote:
> At 9:00am, 3:00pm, 9:00pm and 3:00am each day I get an email alert from
> logcheck that looks like this:

<snip>
> Oct  5 09:00:03 [hostname] NTP: Wed 05 Oct 2005 09:00:03 AM PDT

If you find messages that should be ignored, but currently are not, you
should file a bug report against logcheck-database in the BTS. That way
everyone benefits from an improved version of logcheck. If you've not
done this before, you should read http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
beforehand. To make sure you're not going to be filing a duplicate bug,
try looking through the list at http://bugs.debian.org/logcheck and
http://bugs.debian.org/logcheck-database. A handy tool which will guide
you through the process and list bugs already reported is reportbug.

There are caveats to the above, messages from software not included in
Debian, startup/shutdown and debug messages will not be included in the
rules packaged with logcheck. In other words, please don't file bugs.

If you really want to learn about regular expressions, or you want to
ignore stuff which won't be included with logcheck, there are tonnes of
sites with help. One being the "Tao of Regular Expressions":
	http://sitescooper.org/tao_regexps.html
The best idea is to go forth and Google. After that, muchos practise. If
you get stuck on something specific, come let us know and we'll try and
help.

HTH,

--
-Jamie L. Penman-Smithson <jamie at silverdream.org>