[meetbot-devel] Voting Feature [WAS: Wiki Posting - Picking from where I left it]

Richard Darst rkd at zgib.net
Mon Jun 6 21:32:28 UTC 2011

Hi!

I'm alive.  Feel free to repeatedly pinging me on IRC into replying or
doing things, and pings help and don't annoy me.

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 04:39:03PM -0500, David Narvaez wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Alan Bell <
> alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
> >
> > I did some work on a version of meetbot, I ended up kind of forking it
> > because I didn't think the changes would be generally useful and I was
> > teaching myself python as I went along so the code might be a bit of a mess
> > and I know I never understood the test framework so I think I broke it and
> > didn't get round to fixing it. The code is here
> > https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bots/ubuntu-bots/meetingology
> > The main added feature is voting, which a chair can set up optionally with
> > a list of authorised voters.
> > I am planning to tidy this up and contribute it back to Debian meetbot at
> > some point in the next few months, if someone wants to help that would be
> > great.
> >

> Voting sounds like a great feature, and I would definitely like to include
> that into the MeetBot, how about the rest? I think we could use this thread
> to discuss some scenarios and implementation designs.
>
> I'd love to help including that feature into the MeetBot, as soon as I'm
> done with the Wiki Posting thing.

I thought about voting a while ago, and investigated what was
available in supybot already.  I saw the Poll plugin, but thought it
could use improvement for some reason.  I thought that making a
separate voting plugin, and integrating it with the MeetBot plugin
somehow, would be most useful.  That way others can use it even if
they don't need MeetBot.

I considered how to make a most useful voting scheme, since there are
so many different ways to do things.

I thought this would be useful and general enough.  The vote plugin
doesn't know about options or anything, it just remembers the first
word of what people vote for, whether it is "A" or "B" or "+1" or "0",
and then returns the counts for each option.  Then the people running
the meeting can decide how to interpret the results themselves - for
example votes could just be advisory.  The plugin could put a "#info
-1: 2;  0: 3;  +1: 1" in the meetbot logs and then someone can
"#agree" the interpretation of the vote.

What do you think?  How else could a vote plugin work?

- Richard