[Multiarch-devel] multiarch fixes in debian-experimental branch

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sat Sep 7 06:23:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:59:42AM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:49:20AM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > 03.09.2013 11:44, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > >On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 03:29:58PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> > [build-depends: python:any]

> > >which version of sbuild do you have? I used pbuilder fine with the new
> > >syntax, and I believe wookey has been using sbuild fine. It is of course
> > >a problem if the sbuild used by debian buildd's doesn't work either.

> > I don't think it has anything to do with sbuild or pbuilder, according
> > to this error message:

> > In other words, it looks like it is dpkg who does not understand the
> > dependency, not sbuild or apt.

> Well it is not clear from the short snip where the error is. the :any
> syntax is only valid for build-depends,

Not exactly.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec#Extended_semantics_of_per-architecture_package_relationships

:any has been specified for runtime dependencies from the beginning, and
dpkg and apt both implement support for this in wheezy - which means as long
as you're building for wheezy or later, this should work.  It's even allowed
now in the Debian archive AIUI, after a recent round of sbuild/wanna-build
changes at DebConf.

The error message above shows that the dependency on python:any isn't
*satisfied* - not that it isn't *parsed*.

> It might be also some postinst going bust earlier, or version skew
> preventing parallel versions of multiarch packages being installed.

That could be.  Where can we see a full log of the failure?