[mgt-devel] (fwd) liborbit0ldbl and multi-gnome-terminal

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sun Apr 13 21:29:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:28:58PM +0300, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> tabterm is a bit hackish and unsupported. It's unlikely it will get
> more features or bug fixes.

that's a shame.  MGT is finally disappearing from debian and there's no
decent replacement yet.

tabterm seemed like a viable base to produce a clone of MGT when i
looked at it in Feb.

i had to use Gnome Terminal for a week and a half recently after an
upgrade to xserver-xorg-video-intel. eventually, i googled the error
message and it was similar to another problem with the nv driver from a
year or so ago....finally fixed it by wrapping MGT with this sh script:

  #! /bin/sh
  XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 exec multi-gnome-terminal --geometry 132x74

anyway, having to use Gnome Terminal was awful. it really is
inadequate...it's probably OK for someone who only uses a terminal
occasionally, but it's a real pain for anyone who spends 80+% of their
time in terminal & ssh sessions.

> Feel free to pull it from:
> http://home.foolab.org/svn/projects/tabterm/trunk/

anything new since Feb?

> I still have mgt on my laptop running testing.

not for long....eventually, liborbit0ldbl will make it to testing
and your next upgrade will force removal of MGT.

the only way i am keeping MGT installed on my unstable boxes is to Hold
it, which prevents installation of liborbit0ldbl. i wont be able to
do that forever...sooner or later, something else will come up that
requires me to choose upgrading over MGT.

> I also consider this mgt devel group to be dead!

i thought it was just on vacation for a while...

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>