[mgt-devel] (fwd) liborbit0ldbl and multi-gnome-terminal

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Apr 14 06:34:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:29:18AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:28:58PM +0300, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> > tabterm is a bit hackish and unsupported. It's unlikely it will get
> > more features or bug fixes.
>
> that's a shame.  MGT is finally disappearing from debian and there's no
> decent replacement yet.

i've been trying out mrxvt today (which is packaged for debian).

it's quite good.  certainly better than GT or konsole.  it's fast too -
non-gnome, non-GTK, non-KDE...just an old-fashioned X application.

with a bit of tweaking of ~/.mrxvtrc, it's a good functional replacement
for MGT.

it's actually got one or two nice features that MGT doesn't have - like
macros that can do neat stuff like copy the current tab's scrollback
buffer to a temp file, open a new tab, and view that file with less or
vi...useful for searching the SB buffer.

the biggest problem with it i've found so far is that it has a
hard-coded limit of 15 tabs per window...i normally run with 18 per
window. i can adapt to that....or if not, i can always recompile it.

the second biggest problem is that there's no GUI dialog box for
configuring it to try out different fonts and colours and sizes etc.
so trialling that stuff is non-interactive:  edit  ~/.mrxvtrc,
and run mrxvt to see what it looks like...quit and try again until
you get it right.  not that big a deal...once i've figured it out,
i'm unlikely to ever need to change it again.

i'd rather stick with MGT, but that's not really an option any more.
mrxvt will do.

i'll make a final decision after a few more days of using it, but it
looks like i've found an adequate replacement...at least for my needs.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>