[Neurodebian-devel] Debian package for mpi4py

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Mar 25 17:02:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 12:40 -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > The problem is that i.e. I need latest Python 2.7, NumPy / SciPy svn
> > since they contain bugfixes that are important to me, compiled against
> > performance libraries etc. And I'm not alone with that :-/
>
> I know -- you could become a good friend with Gael Varoquaux ;-)

Too late, I already am :-) We've met several times at FACETS CodeJams...

> But you must also understand, that by relying on the not-stable-releases
> of core libraries you are getting not only bugfixes but also new bugs.

That's true, unfortunately.

> That is why in PyMVPA we at times just monkey patch (with Python
> such overloads are so easy, e.g. [1]) the relevant issues we discover in
> numpy/scipy, so while fixed release is still cooking, we use the stable
> one with fixed functionality.  Sure thing, such things are impossible to
> achieve for fixes in C API ;-)

Exactly, the manpower available to me, however, is right now limited to
me, me, and maybe me, so instead of thinking too much I just go for svn
cut when it was fixed and hope for the best.

> But I am curious -- for what functionality (besides conveniences) do you
> need Python 2.7?

Well, there are plenty of things, of course not all of them are crucial,
but given the sucky coder I am and the fact that for now my codes will
only be used by me, I tend to go for the latest sugar from Python
instead of working around, backporting etc.

Among the most essential, maybe, I would name native fast ordered
dictionaries. Other than that, latest unittest2. Ability to use
"{}".format(x). Well, you name it ;-)

Anyway, with virtualenvs, a custom Python interpreter is just few extra
characters, so, why would I suffer?

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev