[Neurodebian-devel] Debian package for mpi4py

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Mar 25 16:40:21 UTC 2011

Since it is our "private" list, we could chat a bit more I guess

> > yes yes -- for various (often historical) reasons big enterprises want
> > to rely on some other commercial big enterprises ;-)  but things are
> > changing...
> Come on, Yaroslav, we all know that Debian is great! Let's skip the
> advocacy part, however, since we are on a Debian list anyway, as I see
> plenty of reasons to NOT to run it on a cluster. The OS not being Debian
> is not *the* major problem...

yeap -- that statement has its merits, I agree ;)

> The problem is that i.e. I need latest Python 2.7, NumPy / SciPy svn
> since they contain bugfixes that are important to me, compiled against
> performance libraries etc. And I'm not alone with that :-/

I know -- you could become a good friend with Gael Varoquaux ;-)

But you must also understand, that by relying on the not-stable-releases
of core libraries you are getting not only bugfixes but also new bugs.
That is why in PyMVPA we at times just monkey patch (with Python
such overloads are so easy, e.g. [1]) the relevant issues we discover in
numpy/scipy, so while fixed release is still cooking, we use the stable
one with fixed functionality.  Sure thing, such things are impossible to
achieve for fixes in C API ;-)

But I am curious -- for what functionality (besides conveniences) do you
need Python 2.7?

[1] http://github.com/PyMVPA/PyMVPA/blob/HEAD/mvpa/support/stats.py