[Neurodebian-devel] experimental OpenVibe package

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Mon Aug 6 18:23:56 UTC 2012

NB Manuel could you please clarify on license/copyright of some fonts you also
carry as part of OGRE package (see below)

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012, Nicolas Bourdaud wrote:
> 	I have now prepared 2 packages: OpenVibe (release 0.14.3) and its
> dependency VRPN (07.30).

awesome!

> 	Although they are still far from being ready to be included into Debian
> proper, I think it is time to have feedback from their main users
> otherwise, they will never be ready. I believe you might dislike some
> aspects of the packages, but please comment and tell me how I should
> change them.

I guess, indeed, we should first provide them from NeuroDebian and seek
user's feedback.

> 	So it could be nice if one of the NeuroDebian sponsors could have a
> look at the packages (starting with VRPN) and if he believes they are
> ok, to upload to the neurodebian repository.

> 	I have tested the VRPN build, and it should build on all supported
> Debian and Ubuntu versions.
> git repo: git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-exppsy/vrpn.git

should I build straight from GIT or may be you could upload your .dsc to
mentors.d.n (preferable so right away I would get also lintian and other checks
right away)?

brief look:

* debian/copyright -- missing entries

 * python_vrpn -- unclear a bit unfortunately since releasing into
   public domain is not that trivial actually...

    # author:       Thiebaut Mochel mochel at cecpv.u-strasbg.fr 2008-06-05
    # copyright:    (C)2008  CECPV
    # license:      Released to the Public Domain.

    Ideally author could be contacted and make license terms explicit, e.g.
    http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/
    or just the same as the rest of VRPN

 * submodules/hidapi -- set of licenses

 * atmellib/

  /* Copyright (C) 2003 Bauhaus University Weimar                                                    */
  /* Released into the public domain on 6/23/2007 as part of the VRPN project                        */
  /* by Jan P. Springer.

 * I guess there could be more ;)

* remove-old-makefile.patch  -- is not necessary.  Just use

%:
    dh $@ --buildsystem=cmake

* vrpn-bin -- why not just vprn?  especially since it would provide the server

> 	Note: Because of a small font file (bluehigh.ttf) shipped in the
> OpenVibe package without its sources

oops -- I guess I am missing something -- what is the sources for a .ttf?

otherwise:

1. there is 2 of them actually ;)
$> ls **/*ttf -l
-rw------- 1 yoh yoh 55820 May 18 11:38 openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/resources/gui/bluehigh.ttf
-rw------- 1 yoh yoh 55820 May 18 11:38 openvibe-applications/vr-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/vr-demo/common/GUI/bluehigh.ttf
$> md5sum **/*ttf
9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/resources/gui/bluehigh.ttf
9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  openvibe-applications/vr-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/vr-demo/common/GUI/bluehigh.ttf

2. it might be the one (use some ttf fonts browser to get glory details),
provided by ttf-larabie-straight (later fonts-larabie-straight) package
in Debian:

$> ls -l /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie/bluehigh.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52844 Aug 28  2000 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie/bluehigh.ttf

which is unfortunately non-free as far as I see it BUT also might be a part of OGRE package ( :-/ ):

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&arch=i386&searchon=contents&keywords=bluehigh.ttf
9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  usr/share/OGRE-1.7.4/media/fonts/bluehigh.ttf

CCing Manuel - OGRE maintainer for comments -- you carry those fonts for which
copyright/license terms I guess are missing from debian/copyright and I am
afraid they might fall under non-free...

>  OpenVibe should normally qualify
> for non-free.  Tomorrow I will contact upstream about its possible removal.

indeed, ideally those should be "replaced" with some free alternative.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences