[Neurodebian-devel] neurodebian virtual machine / re-branding / source / wheezy

Michael Hanke mih at debian.org
Wed Aug 22 12:19:32 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:47:16PM +0200, Tiziano Zito wrote:
> Hi neuro-devs,
>
> We <www.technologit.de> are planning to distribute at a conference
> USB sticks with the neurodebian virtual machine appliance and some
> additional promotional material.

Cool (although I cannot access the webpage, so I don't know what kind of
guys you are ;-)

> I wanted to ask if it is OK for us to add our logo to the default
> desktop background, keeping the neurodebian logo in place. Of course
> the fact that the VM comes from the neurodebian team will be
> properly advertised.

All of that stuff should be GPLv3 (or the respective license of the
packages, hence at least DFSG-compliant). Therefore I guess the answer
must be: Sure!

> Also, do you have a VM based on wheezy already around? If not, are the
> steps used to create the VM documented somewhere? I would like to
> give it a try, as I think people will be happy to get a newer system.
> This would also help me in trying to fix the current
> problems in the VM which happen at the first boot: the system
> update-manager fails with a fatal error. It offers to report a bug
> and then dies. After reboot everything seems to work fine, and the
> upgrade works.
> I wanted to investigate it better later, but if I can work on a
> wheezy image I would rather invest my time on it ;)

Yarik pushed a wheezy-vm branch yesterday (good timing!). If you happen
to try it out and iron out some bugs your PR is, of course, most
welcome.

If you start distributing the image, it would be very nice of you to send
us a link, so we can add you to:

  http://neuro.debian.net/derivatives.html

Thanks,

Michael