[Neurodebian-devel] neurodebian virtual machine / re-branding / source / wheezy

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Wed Aug 22 15:01:52 UTC 2012

oh guys -- you are ruining my perfect sick day, where I have decided to really
be sick and just lay in bed, drink hot tea and wait for head stop spinning and
the voice production come back to me... but it is even more painful to
see someone falling into the trap you unintentionally built... ;)

those scripts should work ... on our compute server ;-)  There are two
very custom  pieces of the setup:

1. apache server serving vm/d-i directory

   that is used to provide corresponding presseed.cfg by feeding
   'auto=hydra' to d-i prompt at the beginning (very ad-hoc but seems to
   work), and then to provide initial_setup script

   so just grep for hydra to see those places you might need to tune

2. for speed we use approx apt cacher, so first packages are fetched
   from there -- look for 10.0.0.1:9999 and replace accordingly.

if you could work on pulling those configurational aspects out -- that would be
great!

otherwise, for wheezy, look for TODOs

$> grep TODO d-i/wheezy/initial_setup
# TODO: neurodebian-guest-additions
# TODO: autologin for lightdm (autologin-user=brain in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf), default panel (with chromium) for xfce

I started to collect... We decided to go with XFCE instead of the
heavy-weight/3D-demanding/etc gnome3 which is the default.  I remember
that the setup was already somewhat working -- i.e. we were getting a VM
appliance with wheezy. and there were only outstanding TODOs on the list ;)

Hope this would be of some help!