[Neurodebian-devel] Uploading pyqtgraph packages

Luke Campagnola lcampagn at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 15 04:26:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian at onerussian.com>wrote:

> >    Alternately: are the commands documented somewhere?�
>
> not really... contributions ARE VERY VERY VERY WELCOME!  pretty much
> providing sane(r) --help would be already of great help.  look under
>
> https://github.com/neurodebian/neurodebian/tree/master/tools

I'll have a look..  Can't promise any quality documentation, but I usually
find that having someone else send a crappy pull request is enough
motivation for me to fix it properly :)

> BTW -- have anyone looked/used http://docopt.org/ ? -- looks very
> interesting for quick cmdline interfaces, but docopts for bash seems to be
> not
> in debian... oh well

It's all of one python file:
https://github.com/docopt/docopt/blob/master/docopt.py
Just include it in the neurodebian-dev :)

> >    I meant to include this link
> >    previously:�[3]https://github.com/lcampagn/pyqtgraph/tree/deb_build
> >    From there you can run `python setup.py sdist deb
> --force-version=0.9.8`.
> >    The 'deb' command just creates a deb_build directory and populates it
> with
> >    the necessary pieces before calling `dh -us -uc`.
>
> brrr ;-)  why not just debian/ directory?  your setup would
> complicate contributions from debian folks etc... you would need to provide
> us the generated source package anyways.  I would recommend just
> carrying debian/ and using git-buildpackage

I like to keep the package root as clean as possible. For a package that
claims to run on all flavors of windows, osx, and linux, it doesn't make a
lot of sense (to me) for 'debian' to appear at the root.  Can you give
examples of how this complicates contributions from debian folks? In any
case, at least the changelog needs to be generated, so *some* command must
be run.

I'll have a peek at git-buildpackage. I see it can build changelogs from
the commit history, but I'm pretty skeptical this would generate an
acceptable result..

back to cows:
> btw -- in generated debian/control dh-python is missing from build-depends
> and as I said those debian/*install  should not be needed in this case
> iirc.
>
> so here is a PR
> https://github.com/lcampagn/pyqtgraph/pull/4

I had tried adding dh-python to my build dependencies before and I get
"dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: dh-python". I'm not sure
what to make of that, since dh_python commands are provided by the core
python package.

Luke