[Neurodebian-devel] Strange behavior of FSL FEAT on Ubuntu 16.04 and mounted Samba shares

Parzer, Peter Peter.Parzer at med.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 9 10:45:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

I found a very strange problem with fsl feat (from the package fsl-5.0-core) and cannot track down the real source of this bug.

When upgrading Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04 fsl feat stopped working correctly. Is started to fill up the file report_log.html with zeros at a rate of 100MB per second until the disk was full. We have our data on a mounted Samba share, so I tried to run feat with a copy of the data on the local drive. Now the program worked without problems. Next I searched the fsl scripts for locations that refer to the file report_log.html. I found one possible location in the shell script mainfeatreg at lines 131-134. So I commented out the following lines in this script:

#if [ $3 = 1 -a -d logs ]
#   then
#   cat logs/* > report_log.html
#fi

Now feat is working also on the mounted Samba shares. The strange thing is, that I cannot imagine how the simple shell command "cat logs/* > report_log.html" could cause such a fatal problem.

Peter