[Neurodebian-devel] Could you enable fls-5.0-gpu package by default?

Michael Hanke mih at debian.org
Sun May 29 09:12:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 09:36:21AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> Hi,
> I am not sure whether this is a proper channel, please forward me to the
> right one if this is not the case.

It is!

> I am trying to use CUDA features from the fls-5.0 source package.
> fls-5.0-gpu is not built by default, though. I have tried to make it
> compile and it doesn't look terribly hard to do it. I've ended up with
> the (attached) two patches.

There was no attachment -- please resend.

> The first one: add_gpu_tools_pkg is "stolen" from the current debian
> source package (5.0.7-4) and refreshed on top of 5.0.9-2.
>
> The second one: gpu-tools-fixes combines two compile fixes
>
> With the two patches and nvidia-kernel-dkms installed (Btw. shouldn't
> this be recommended dependency?) I was able to run bedpostx successfully
> on
> 13:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK110GL [Tesla K20m] (rev a1)
>
> Would it be possible to add the two patches and enable the -gpu package
> automatically?

Thanks a lot for composing patches! I will take a look at them as soon as I
get my hands on them.

As stated before, I have no hardware to test this one, but if these
changes do not impair the rest of the package, I'd be happy to include
them.

For the sake of clarity:

- you added nvidia-kernel-dkms as a _runtime_ dependency of the -gpu
  package only?

- you did not need to add additional build dependencies beyond the old
  patch?

- 'gpu-tools-fixes' is something that should be submitted upstream as
  general fixes.

If this is the case, I so no issues so far (not having seen the actual
patches).

Quick question upfront: Would you be willing and able to keep an eye on
the GPU tools in FSL for the updates to come? Without being able to
test, I am limited in my ability to fix things, should issues arise (and
they usually do ;-).

Thanks,

Michael

--