[Neurodebian-upstream] PyNN + NeuroTools packages

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Dec 3 15:39:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:16 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> iirc ;)

Sounds very good to me! I will check it out as soon as I get to it.

> liar! ;) there is also graphics and reference! ;)

Reference folder contains misc Debian references which I collected while
trying to become more familiar with packaging in general and Python
packaging in particular. These are freely distributable.

Graphics were drawn by me, but even the original ones are public domain
(because they are supposed to be used e.g for posters and presentations)
and not covered by the restrictive licence.

Thanks for your vigilance though... ;-)

> but while they are working on that, why don't you automate it further
> ... I just registered so I see how it could be done now since every
> registered user gets a UID, so   may be you could follow the path
> of
>
> googleearth-package
>
> so upon install/upgrade it asks users for their UID, fetches NEST sources,
> applies your packaging, builds the package(s), installs the package(s)?

This is one way out. The other one is to actually infiltrate their
community, become the ftpmaster, and then try to influence the licensing
terms from the inside ;-)

In this case all you would need to do is to provide a small meta-package
with sources.list.d which would ask for the UID and drop in the correct
sources accordingly.

Let's see how far I can get. My major goal is to get the proper
packaging done for 2.0 release and it is not achieved yet ;-(

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev