[Neurodebian-upstream] PyNN + NeuroTools packages

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Dec 3 23:05:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> > so upon install/upgrade it asks users for their UID, fetches NEST sources,
> > applies your packaging, builds the package(s), installs the package(s)?

> This is one way out. The other one is to actually infiltrate their
> community, become the ftpmaster, and then try to influence the licensing
> terms from the inside ;-)

well -- if you are to pursue this mission, you have all our humble
sympathy along the way ;)  We have been waiting on FreeSurfer license
issues resolution for years...  On the other hand, MIPAV seems to
proceed forward releasing under appropriate FOSS license, so
precedences are there ;)

> In this case all you would need to do is to provide a small meta-package
> with sources.list.d which would ask for the UID and drop in the correct
> sources accordingly.

yeah ... and, as also in the case with manually or automatically built
at installation packages, just let them and users struggle
assuring NEST being in a good shape to at least not interfere
with the rest of Debian system, since Debian would involve without
knowing that there is some nest somewhere (that is a benefit of
packaging for Debian, so transitions and releases are done properly at
the system integration level)... so, lets get back to your original idea
of the "infiltration" ;)

> Let's see how far I can get. My major goal is to get the proper
> packaging done for 2.0 release and it is not achieved yet ;-(

Good luck !  Feel free to ask questions (no answers guaranteed though)
at -devel mailing list ;)