[Neurodebian-upstream] another fresh interview with us

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Dec 13 02:47:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > http://incf.org/newsroom/stories/neurodebian-the-value-of-an-integrated-tool-suite
> Congrats!

thank you!

> One thing to note: you might want to clarify, if possible on the site,
> that NeuroDebian is not a *separate* distribution.  Someone who is not
> this is a 'layer' they can add and immediately benefit from, without
> any interference with what they already have.

thank you Fernando for the feedback and re-iterating this point...  we
kept repeating it to people so often verbally that we might have
started loosing the sharpness of that argument in our answers.  It
is somewhat addressed though in the first answer by Michael that we are
not creating a separate distribution:

  The goal of NeuroDebian is not to create a new, separate environment
  just for neuroscientific research. Instead, it aims to add the facet
  of neuroscience research to the abilities of the "universal operating
  systems" that Debian strives to be. This approach has many advantages
  over a separate project: longevity, man-power, and reduced cost to
  name just a few

indeed, the "layer" aspect could have been explicitly mentioned in
addition.  We have had it in a bit greater detail in the interview
for floss4science recently:

   http://www.floss4science.com/interview-neurodebian

Meanwhile I have reworded (and even changed the title) of the
neuro.debian.net opening page... does it look more informative now?

if you see how it could be improved -- you know the drill:
https://github.com/neurodebian/neurodebian/blob/master/sphinx/index.rst
;-)

Cheers!