[newmaint-site] Experimentation on adding WebID profiles Re: Contributors identity management

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Wed Nov 13 17:41:28 UTC 2013

Hi.

(I doubt that it will arrive soon to the lists given the alioth outage,
but who knows... in any case, you could be interested I hope, Enrico)

Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu> writes:

> As I mentioned in [0] I'm looking at WebID [1], a standard being
> developped at the W3C as a mean to inter-link different user profiles
> (machine processable ones), which could hopefully serve in the context
> of DC.
>
> I'm currently looking at integrating some Django code accessing the
> Debian LDAP (written by Luca Filipozi for userdir-ldap) and the Django
> WebID provider contrib written by Ben Nomadic, in an attempt at
> providing reference Debian WebIDs for project members. My code is at
> [2], quite early, but somehow working (here on my laptop, need to
> install a demo, etc...). It's WIP ;-)

Some update on this topic.

You may find in [3] a repo in which I've tried integrating code from
Django WebID Provider (well, a particular branch of a port/rewrite of
it) [4] in order to try and support content-negociated generation of the
Contributor details.

The current code, committed on the 'webid' branch at Gitorious can be
tested provided that:
- there's a symlink named 'webid_provider' pointing to the version of
  that app on the 'use_rdflib' branch of [4], checked out somewhere
- python's rdflib library is upstream's latest (Debian's too old)
- WebID_Provider's other dependencies are there too (using virtualenv for instance)

It will generate the same contributors.html view when requested as HTML,
and something like the following when asked as Turtle RDF :

$ curl -H 'Accept: text/turtle' http://localhost:8000/contributors/contributor/holger-guest
@prefix cert: <http://www.w3.org/ns/auth/cert#> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix xml: <http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<> a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument ;
    foaf:primaryTopic <http://example.com/contributors/contributor/holger-guest#me> .

<http://example.com/contributors/contributor/holger-guest#me> a foaf:Person ;
    foaf:name "holger-guest" .

Now, I'd like to work on adding proper ontologies for the contribution
periods, and the links between that foaf:Person (for the Contributor)
and its foaf:OnlineAccount (for the Identifiers) or something more
appropriate.

I'll let you know when I've moved on.

What's nice is that I haven't needed to tweak that much what I had done
for userdir-ldap, which means that the two could eventually be merged
some day (which kind of makes sense to me, at least for Debian project
members).

Feel free to ask if this is still cryptic ;)

Best regards,

[3] https://gitorious.org/olberger/dc/commits/26115f4a71dd58e2a566c20ef83d30081815b82b
[4] https://github.com/olberger/django-webid-provider/tree/use_rdflib

--