[newmaint-site] dc-tool --mine=cfgfile

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Jan 11 16:39:51 UTC 2014

Hello,

since contributors.debian.org was announced, many people have expressed
their cheers for the site, but nobody has created new data sources.

My guess is that people are busy writing code for their own world
domination goals, and cannot spare the time writing data mining code,
not matter how easy it is.

So I started working on this:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=nm/python-debiancontributors.git;a=blob;f=DATAMINING.rst

The executive summary is that you create a configuration file, like
this:

  $ cat examples/collab-maint
  auth_token: secret

  contribution: committer
  method: gitdirs
  dirs: /srv/git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/*.git
  url = https://alioth.debian.org/users/{user}/

  contribution: committer
  method: svndirs
  dirs: /srv/svn.debian.org/svn/collab-maint
  url = https://alioth.debian.org/users/{user}/

Then do this:

  dc-tool --mine=examples/collab-maint --post

And it's done.

The data mining system is able to generate its own documentation with
dc-tool --mine-doc, and the result is the DATAMINING.rst file that is
now also included in the repository.

It can scan git and subversion repositories, mail folders, file
ownership, and run SQL queries on PostgreSQL databases.

I'll now see about getting it installed on alioth (to scan VCSes) and
master.debian.org (to scan list archives), then it'll be time to send
another announcement email.

In the meantime, I've added nm.debian.org and contributors.debian.org
committer information to the nm.debian.org data source. Many
of you still do not show because we miss identity management, though.

If all goes well there is going to be a DACS sprint in February where
we'll finally try to make web password logins happen using Alioth
credentials: https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2014/SSOSprint

Ciao,

Enrico

--