[newmaint-site] We have identity management!

enrico at enricozini.org enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Mar 19 18:39:56 UTC 2014

Hello,

 * Identity management

we have identity management! Oh yes!

Anyone can now log in (via DD web password or alioth) and click on their
own name in the top right of the page, and hide single identifiers or
even everything.

While visiting a team-specific page, one can click on "user settings"
and hide themselves from that data source only.

Changes are immediate. Going on the personal page while logged in shows
the hidden activity as grayed out, so one can see what the system has
and what it being hidden.

So, achievement unlocked: identity management!

 * Partial aggregation

So that identity changes can show right away, I've implemented partial
data aggregation, so that aggregated contribution information can be
recomputed only for a specific person or data source.

Since I've implemented partial data aggegation, I've also added a
partial aggregation run after new contributions have been posted to the
site, so that they now show immediately.

So, every change to the site is now reflected right away in the site
contents, without needing to wait for the daily maintenance run.

 * What next

Identity management means that people can now opt out, which means that
we can be more aggressive about what kind of contributions we display by
default.

Having a working user settings page also means that we can now implement
editable display names for users, which in turn means that we can
heuristically fill in and show full names, giving people a chance to fix
them if we get them wrong. I've added entries to the todo list[1]
accordingly.

Also, now that everyone, dd or not, can log in and manage their
identity, we can finally think about implementing claiming of email
addresses and other identifiers.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/FrontDesk/DcSiteDevel

Ciao,

Enrico