[Nonfree-discuss] Processed: Some newish packages

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:42:50 +0200

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:28:29PM +0000, non-free tracking system wrote:
> Setting reason for `robotour':
> Reason was:
> Reason set to: Grants use for private purposes only, may only be distributed
>  unmodified and in whole, no competing with it on the Internet,
>  no sale, no commercial use. License may be revoked at any time
>  in which case all copies must be erased <b>immediately</b>.

Are we really allowed to distribute this in non-free? What if someday the
author says license is revoked. Can we erase _all copies_ immediately?

> > reason at76c503a =
> > Driver source code is GPL but the firmware is just a bunch of numbers.
> > .
> Setting reason for `at76c503a':
> Reason was:
> Reason set to: Driver source code is GPL but the firmware is just a bunch of numbers.

Looks like the firmware has no license at all. I'm nuking it.

> > reason atmel-firmware =
> > The firmware loading utility is GPL'd, but the firmware may only be
> > distributed in .h or .rom format. No more rights are granted.
> > .
> Setting reason for `atmel-firmware':
> Reason was:
> Reason set to: The firmware loading utility is GPL'd, but the firmware may only be
>  distributed in .h or .rom format. No more rights are granted.

They were shipping the files with ".bin" extension, which violates license. I
filed a bug on this.

--
Robert Millan

(Debra and Ian) (Gnu's Not (UNiplexed Information and Computing System))/\
(kernel of *(Berkeley Software Distribution))