[Openstack-devel] Debian GNU/Linux and Ubuntu packages diff for horizon

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Sat Jul 7 19:23:55 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 11:00 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06 2012, Loic Dachary wrote:
>
>>  - Totally different build dependencies. Debian has much less
>>    dependencies. It looks like the ubuntu dependencies are better than
>>    the debian dependencies.
> Considering that the Debian package build fine, it's more likely that
> the Ubuntu build dependencies are bloated. That should be checked for
> real.
Hi,

I would like to contribute with a little advice and I beg you not take it the wrong way. My intention is merely to make extra sure Ubuntu developers feel welcome on this list, nothing else ;-)

If you think something is wrong, please state the facts. It will also help if you add a smiley or a phrase explaining that you don't resent the person who did a mistake. When a ubuntu developer reads "it's more likely that the Ubuntu build dependencies are bloated." (s)he will feel that you have a low opinion of the work done, by default. This is detrimental to cooperation.

The following sentence carries the same information, without the negative aspect:

"Considering that the Debian package build fine, it could mean that the Ubuntu build dependencies contain unnecessary dependencies."

Quoting the Gnome & KDE code of conduct:

* Be respectful and considerate
* Be patient and generous
* Assume people mean well
* Try to be concise
* Be collaborative
* Be pragmatic
* Support others in the community
* Get support from others in the community

http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/
https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/

A larger collection can be found at https://openhatch.org/wiki/Project_codes_of_conduct

Thank you for your understanding