[Openstack-devel] Current state of the Folsom packaging -- horizon

Tim Spriggs tims at arizona.edu
Tue Oct 30 19:01:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> I haven't worked at all yet on horizon, this is to be done as well.

> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

I delved into this and it's a bit of a mess. Horizon uses lessc to
generate css and dynamically places a style sheet and javascript into:

/usr/share/openstack-dashboard/static/dashboard/{css,js}

So those two directories need to be owned by horizon so that the
horizon wsgi process can write there. I imagine this should be
modified to use some other path (perhaps under /var?) but those files
need to be served up as static content.

As is usually the case with OpenStack, tracing down errors is "fun."
Horizon seems to require a full set of service endpoints to be setup
under keystone. I don't remember 100% of the details but I think this
included cinder (having an older nova-volume endpoint was not enough)
and so logins to horizon failed without an error in the browser.

The way lessc is implemented is messy. The source includes its own
broken version so I hacked around it by using the Debian node-less
package and a hard-coded a path to the system lessc (attached.) The
lessc script should probably be removed from the final package (not
included in the patch) but once I hacked around a little horizon is
working.

That's all I can remember from last week but there may have been other
bugs lurking in that set of packages.

Cheers,
-Tim