[Openstack-devel] Comments and sugestions for future upgrades

Alberto Molina Coballes alb.molina at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:51:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 01:09:28AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think upgrading once a year is a good idea. For me, either you
> upgrade every 6 months, and follow each Openstack release, or you
> upgrade every 2 years, following Debian release cycle. Otherwise, if you
> get into troubles, you will hardly find anyone to support you, because
> nobody does 1 year upgrade cycles.

Hi Thomas, thanks for your comments.

Following Debian release cycle can mean we must upgrade from Essex (2012.1) to OpenStack 2014.1 in 2015 (!).

What would be the correct way to upgrade every 6 months on Debian? Grizzly on wheezy, Havana on jessie and so on? sid?

We are considering other option: make a fresh clean install once a year, given the characteristics of our cloud with no critical servers this could be an option, but upgrade is better :)

Regards

Alberto