[Openstack-devel] Comments and sugestions for future upgrades

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Tue Apr 9 17:07:15 UTC 2013

On 04/09/2013 02:51 AM, Alberto Molina Coballes wrote:
> Hi Thomas, thanks for your comments.
>
> Following Debian release cycle can mean we must upgrade from Essex (2012.1) to OpenStack 2014.1 in 2015 (!).
>
> What would be the correct way to upgrade every 6 months on Debian? Grizzly on wheezy, Havana on jessie and so on? sid?

I intend to maintain backport (unofficial) repositories for every
release of Openstack. So, Wheezy for the moment, and I believe,
including Havana.

As for Jessie and the "I" release, it's hard to do forecasts, sorry.

> We are considering other option: make a fresh clean install once a year, given the characteristics of our cloud with no critical servers this could be an option, but upgrade is better :)

I guess that the thing which is important is to keep your data, more
than the systems. In this case, then the only thing that really maters
is Swift / Glance / Cinder. I don't see how upgrades would break them...
If they do, then this is a bug, and I'll try to address it.

Also, remember that I'm working on these packages so that they go into
production. We (at eNovance) also need smooth upgrades. So I don't think
it is a huge concern.

The only thing is that I will *not* support upgrading from version N to
version N+2. Only from version N to version N+1, and LTS to LTS+1 (eg:
Wheezy to Jessie). And probably, you will have to manually tweak the
configuration files (I don't think that will be so hard though).

Cheers,

Thomas