[Openstack-devel] Websockify has been rejected from upload in Debian

Joel Martin github at martintribe.org
Wed Apr 10 15:23:27 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

Did you get my feedback from your previous email?

I would like to get noVNC packaged in Debian for the Grizzly release.
However, I also want to keep the swf object in the main tree because I
don't want users that clone the tree to have something that works out of
the box even on older browsers. So here are a few options that might work:

- The source and dist packaging process could just be defined to exclude
the web-socket-js directory. I'm not sure if this is an option that would
work for Debian.
- Include a git submodule link to the web-socket-js sources but still keep
the generated swf in the tree. This would allow Debian to build the swf
file from scratch and replace the one in the tree.
- I can create a git branch specifically for debian and other free-strict
distributions which would have the non-free objects removed. This wouldn't
contain the most up to date changes because I would only merge over to that
branch for version tagged releases.
- I could create a separate repository under my account and give you commit
access and you could pull merge over changes from the main branch to that
branch (it's more overhead that a branch in the same repo and I don't have
time to manage that).
- You could maintain your own downstream repo of noVNC that doesn't contain
the binary pieces and merge changes into it.

For any of the last three I could put a link on the README to the location
where the free-strict sources can be found.

Let me know if any of those options would work.

Regards,

Joel Martin (kanaka)