[PKG-Openstack-devel] Openstack in Debian GNU/Linux

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Apr 19 08:25:39 UTC 2016

On 04/18/2016 09:03 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> What's the status of this project? Dead, or just sleeping (very hard :)?

The packaging of OpenStack in Debian? Well, it's been dead for nearly
all of last week, because we've just released the last version of
OpenStack, and we were all kind of taking a break after working so
hard... :)

> I'm about to try installing this in the next month or so, because I need
> to replace a ad-hoc VM system, that doesn't work quite well.
>
> Working with AWS at work and listening to friends trying Openstack at THEIR
> job, leads me to believe that that's what I want!
>

> But I notice that OS in Debian GNU/Linux is … "ancient".

?!?

We're current. The latest version of OpenStack (ie: Mitaka) was uploaded
*the day of the release*, and just reached testing last week. I don't
see how we could work faster.

Now, what's remaining is to upload all of that to the official Jessie
backports, but for that, we need to fix a few packages here and there
(ie: 3rd party libs which we don't maintain that need fixup to enter
testing, like for example python-pandas).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)