[PKG-Openstack-devel] Hypervisor for Openstack?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Sat May 28 18:37:13 UTC 2016

I've been looking at different support matrixes to try to figure
out how to setup OS for me.

The problem stems from the fact that I need both simple containers
as well as full VMs because I do kernel (module) development, and
need full separation between the host and the guest.

But the only hypervisor that solves this, that openstack supports,
seems to be VMware vSphere (ESXi?).

However, as far as I know, you install that on the physical machine
and it deals with everything else! I.e., one can't run containers
on that host at the same time..

To limit the use/generation of both electricity and heat, I wanted
to have all unused hosts turned off, and only turn them on when
needed, basically only having my two OS controller nodes running at
all time (I don't have any need for redundancy since I have only one
wall socket, one network connection - I'll only run two because
eventually, one day, I'll move some of it off-site). So having "a
bunch" of ESXi hosts running 'empty' isn't something I want (or can
do).

I used VMware (but not ESXi) many years ago but didn't like it,
so after a lot of looking, I settled for VirtualBox and that have
served me extremely well over the years!!

I had hoped that something as common as that would be be supported,
but it doesn't seems it is, is this correct? No third party driver
or plugin for OS to use VBox?

So could someone please share some insight on how I can/should solve
the issue of having the possibility to run both Containers and "real
VMs", preferably on the same host, managed by nova-compute.

If I remember correctly, the VMware I used at the time (which is
probably almost ten years ago), could run from the command line
in Linux.
--
God gave man both a penis and a brain,
but unfortunately not enough blood supply