[PKG-Openstack-devel] Hypervisor for Openstack?

gustavo panizzo (gfa) gfa at zumbi.com.ar
Mon May 30 07:46:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 07:37:13PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I've been looking at different support matrixes to try to figure
> out how to setup OS for me.
>
> The problem stems from the fact that I need both simple containers
> as well as full VMs because I do kernel (module) development, and
> need full separation between the host and the guest.
>
> But the only hypervisor that solves this, that openstack supports,
> seems to be VMware vSphere (ESXi?).
>
> However, as far as I know, you install that on the physical machine
> and it deals with everything else! I.e., one can't run containers
> on that host at the same time..
>

> To limit the use/generation of both electricity and heat, I wanted
> to have all unused hosts turned off, and only turn them on when
> needed, basically only having my two OS controller nodes running at
> all time (I don't have any need for redundancy since I have only one
> wall socket, one network connection - I'll only run two because
> eventually, one day, I'll move some of it off-site). So having "a
> bunch" of ESXi hosts running 'empty' isn't something I want (or can
> do).
>
> I used VMware (but not ESXi) many years ago but didn't like it,
> so after a lot of looking, I settled for VirtualBox and that have
> served me extremely well over the years!!
>
> I had hoped that something as common as that would be be supported,
> but it doesn't seems it is, is this correct? No third party driver
> or plugin for OS to use VBox?
>

> So could someone please share some insight on how I can/should solve
> the issue of having the possibility to run both Containers and "real
> VMs", preferably on the same host, managed by nova-compute.

is kinda hack-ish but i've run VMs which are "computes" for libvirt-lxc
inside openstack clouds.

the most difficult piece to get working was the network as it was different
for physical hv (where the vm run) and container hv (vm managed by nova)

is even more hack-ish but you could 2 instances of nova-compute on a
single hv, one managing kvm and other managing lxc. i never did it so i
cannot comment on that.

you can always run devstack or openstack-ansible or debian packages on
single node, running the controller services and the vm on a single
node.

nothing i mentioned here is easy to accomplish, or supported.
if you don't have previous experience with openstack i would recommend
you to start with an "standard" install then move to this "weird" architectures.

cheers

> If I remember correctly, the VMware I used at the time (which is
> probably almost ten years ago), could run from the command line
> in Linux.
> --
> God gave man both a penis and a brain,
> but unfortunately not enough blood supply
> to run both at the same time.
> - R. Williams

1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: http://keybase.io/gfa