[PKG-Openstack-devel] Hypervisor for Openstack?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 30 09:07:38 UTC 2016

On 05/28/2016 08:37 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> So could someone please share some insight on how I can/should solve
> the issue of having the possibility to run both Containers and "real
> VMs", preferably on the same host, managed by nova-compute.

This is not supported upstream. A single nova-compute can only manage
one type of instance (ie: bare-metal, Qemu, KVM, etc.).

Also, LXC is kind of very badly supported right now in OpenStack, and I
wouldn't advise to attempt using it unless you already have a fully
working OpenStack deployment working with KVM already.

What's happening is that the LXC support is supposed to come from
libvirt, however, libvirt support for LXC isn't up to the level of KVM.
Canonical has been working hard on supporting LXC through LXD, which is
an attempt to provide the same kind of support as for KVM with LXC
containers (ie: with support for live migration, networking and so on).
However, Mitaka is the first version with support for it in Nova, and I
am unsure if it is fully usable or not. What's for sure, is that the
Debian version of OpenStack doesn't have support for it (LXD isn't even
uploaded in Debian yet...).

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)