[PKG-Openstack-devel] Migration of packaging development workflow to OpenStack project

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 1 14:44:50 UTC 2016

Hi Team

As you may (or may not) know, Thomas has been working on enabling package
build and publication processes in the OpenStack project infrastructure,
with the intent of migrating *all* packaging development workflow under
pkg-openstack to a git/gerrit based workflow.

This means that day-to-day packaging changes, currently done directly in
git on alioth, will all be done using git/gerrit, inline with other
OpenStack projects.

I'm concerned that, to me at least, it feels like this plan has never been
formally ratified by the members of pkg-openstack in Debian.

I've been fairly vocal on the openstack-dev ML that I don't think this is
the right direction to go in (see [0]), as I feel it moves packaging and
distribution work outside of either Debian or Ubuntu, resulting in more
hops to get work done and uploaded to either distribution. I still stand by
this sentiment, and feel that this change is not been driven by the team as
a whole.

Thoughts?  Is this something that all team members feel is a change for the
better and is something they can stand behind?  I appreciate that adding
things like code review and CI are all helpful to development, but I don't
think that doing that all outside of Debian is the right approach.

Cheers

James

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/thread.html#65298