[Oval-devel] OVAL agent for Debian - beta version of package ready

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña jfs at computer.org
Tue Aug 7 22:15:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 09:02:16AM +0500, Pavel Vinogradov wrote:
>   I ask for testing this package (build and work with Debian OVAL
> definitions) and feedback for package and OVAL-related patches.

With the changes we've done in SVN it builds properly under pbuilder now.
OVAL-related patches seem ok and I still have to test it out with OVAL
definitions.

Some comments:

- It would be nice if you could write a README file in the package and maybe
provide some test definitions as 'examples' so that a novice user can
understand how it's supposed to work.

- There's no need to distribute the "how to build" documentation with the
  package:
  /usr/share/doc/oval/build.linux.txt.gz
  /usr/share/doc/oval/build.win32.txt.gz

- There's no need to distribute the license (terms.txt) in documentation dir
  either

- debian/copyright is a boilerplate. It should have the real licensing terms
  for OVALdi (the contents of the terms.txt file above)

- README.Debian is also a boilerplate, I guess it can be removed.

- please file an ITP (see 'WNPP' at bugs.debian.org) for this package.

Also, the manpage has to be modified:

- /usr/share/ovaldi/ does not exist in the package (it's /usr/share/oval)
- there's no 'Interpreters' subdir (it should point to where the files are)
- it lacks a (Debian-related) example. The current example does not actually
  work if you just 'copy & paste' it

Finally, ovaldi seems to look for the XSD files in the current working
directory, it would be nice if it defaulted to /usr/share/oval/ as that's
where all of them are. I can't find a command line option to tell it where to
look for the XSD files, so the user has to go to /usr/share/oval/ and run
'ovaldi' there.

Regards

Javier