[Packaging-handbook-project] Cooperation between Miriam's course on Debian packages and the Debian Packaging Handbook project

Miriam Ruiz little.miry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:46:25 UTC 2007

Hi!

2007/8/29, martin f krafft <madduck at debian.org>:

> also sprach Luca Brivio <lucab83 at infinito.it> [2007.08.29.0159 +0200]:
> > Since she aims to provide a truly complete and thorough
> > introduction to all aspects of developing Debian packages,
>
> I don't want to discourage Miriam, but such a course is, IMHO,
> impossible, unless she has several weeks. So instead, I suggest that
> she should formulate a realistic goal and plan for much time to let
> people play around with the concepts taught.

Yup, I know. I count on having some weeks, and my plan is to start from the
very beginning and go ahead wherever we reach. If I find that the girls in
LinuxChix are not interested anymore,then I'll stop there, but otherwise I
plan on going slowly forward. I don't want to do the course in a hurry, I
want them to  be able to go their speed and develop their interest. My real
goal with this is that some of them might decide to try to go NM and become
DDs.

Miri, once you have an outline, I'd be happy to glance over it. I've
> been teaching professional Linux courses for 6 years, and I've
> learnt a lot about volume of topics and to keep that low. It never
> hurts to prepare more, but you should set the bar at the lower end.
> Then, if you find to be progressing faster than expected, you can
> keep adding topics.

I already have an outline, but it's really really really a pre-pre-alpha.

http://women.debian.org/wiki/English/Courses/MaintainingPackages/

My plan is to develop a short part of theory for each step, then some small
exercises so they can practice a bit, and then questions, as I cannot know
in advance which doubts might have. There are lots of things I need to add
there anyway, and probably reestructure some parts of it. I wanted to have
it more advanced by now, but Kenta Cho got in the way, and Cultivation, then
Fenix, and Pingus, ... Once all of Kenta Cho's games are finished, and they
almost are, that should be my 1st priority :)

I usually prepare a list of topics to cover and estimate the time it
> would take for me to present it. Then, I multiply it by two, write
> the time down next to the topic, and select those topics that
> I think *need* to be taught. I fill up, e.g. 3 days of a 5 days
> course. At the end of the third day, depending on how far we got,
> I might present the students with the list of topics and ask them
> which they want to go over for the remaining time. If it's been slow
> up to now, I might wait until the end of the forth day. And so on.

I don't really have a time limit here, so I plan to use that in my favour.

> this look like an outstanding chance for cooperating. While both
> > contents and shape of her course and our handbook will in many
> > ways differ, I think there's nevertheless enough interesting room
> > to make things together. I do mean writing, merging, editing and
> > adapt text for our different purposes.
>
> It would be good to find out the areas people were most interested
> in, topics that confused people, errors, and so on.

Yup, I agree that should be  the best. It'll make it easier to plan for
future courses.

> (License-wise, Davide and I would at this moment adopt GPL2+
> > - this won't forbid us to re-license some parts or put them in the
> > public domain, but might clearly have some disadvantages -, but
> > please tell me if you don't agree with us.)
>
> What's the + in GPL2+?

I guess it means Version 2 or, at your option, any later version.

Miry