[Packaging-handbook-project] Cooperation between Miriam's course on Debian packages and the Debian Packaging Handbook project

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Aug 29 06:54:43 UTC 2007

also sprach Luca Brivio <lucab83 at infinito.it> [2007.08.29.0159 +0200]:
> Since she aims to provide a truly complete and thorough
> introduction to all aspects of developing Debian packages,

I don't want to discourage Miriam, but such a course is, IMHO,
impossible, unless she has several weeks. So instead, I suggest that
she should formulate a realistic goal and plan for much time to let
people play around with the concepts taught.

Miri, once you have an outline, I'd be happy to glance over it. I've
been teaching professional Linux courses for 6 years, and I've
learnt a lot about volume of topics and to keep that low. It never
hurts to prepare more, but you should set the bar at the lower end.
Then, if you find to be progressing faster than expected, you can
keep adding topics.

I usually prepare a list of topics to cover and estimate the time it
would take for me to present it. Then, I multiply it by two, write
the time down next to the topic, and select those topics that
I think *need* to be taught. I fill up, e.g. 3 days of a 5 days
course. At the end of the third day, depending on how far we got,
I might present the students with the list of topics and ask them
which they want to go over for the remaining time. If it's been slow
up to now, I might wait until the end of the forth day. And so on.

> this look like an outstanding chance for cooperating. While both
> contents and shape of her course and our handbook will in many
> ways differ, I think there's nevertheless enough interesting room
> to make things together. I do mean writing, merging, editing and
> adapt text for our different purposes.

It would be good to find out the areas people were most interested
in, topics that confused people, errors, and so on.

> (License-wise, Davide and I would at this moment adopt GPL2+
> - this won't forbid us to re-license some parts or put them in the
> public domain, but might clearly have some disadvantages -, but
> please tell me if you don't agree with us.)

What's the + in GPL2+?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

kermit: why are there so many songs about rainbows?
fozzy: that's part of what rainbows do.