Who is this book for?

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 16:20:17 UTC 2008

Luca Brivio wrote:
> I've written something simple about the targeted audience of the Handbook. I
> think it's a very important topic to cover. Please tell me any impressions,
> remarks, thoughts, fixes you have which concern the following paragraph.

A couple of English usage points.

> This book is for those who want to either make, or allow to make good Debian
> packages. Among them, we target:

You can allow someone to do something, or you can allow something,
but you can't allow to do something.  I'd say "those who want either
to make or to allow others to make good Debian packages".

> - new maintainers who want to go deeper into the art of package creation and
> maintenance;
> - Debian Developers and Debian Maintainers looking for a truly comprehensive
> and up-to-date reference for their packaging job;
> - everybody keeping courses or in-depth tutorials about Debian packaging;
> - people who want to make non-Debian dpkg packages and repositories and keep
> them in a good shape;

The idiom is "in good shape".

> - hackers, systems administrators, and computer scientists in search of
> insights on Debian package internals.

Not impossible, but insights are usually "into" things.

> In order to satisfy all your needs (and ours too!), we put here several kinds

Is that "we have included several kinds"?

> of contents: explanations of procedures, policy information, mixed hints,
> documentation on how to use many tools, comparisons, examples, file snippets,
> etc.

Of course if the content's still likely to change a lot there's no
need to worry about the style yet.
--
JBR, wandering in from debian-l10n-english