[Parted-edge] VFS layer

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:10:38 CET 2007

> while porting libparted to Darwin, where
> libuuid (part of ext2fsprogs) is not available; I'm having to copy-paste
> the corresponding libuuid code into the parted codebase.

Why don't you port libuuid to Darwin then?

> I think this
> will be better for other architectures also, since there's now one less
> dependency, which is great for our LiveCD consumers.

The LiveCD makers would just need to include just another library.

> we have the best FAT implementation out there,
> which I doubt any other library will be able to replace.

In such cases we will use the home-grown code. Maybe we can export the
FAT code as a separate library too so other people can benefit. I do
not know how feasible this is, though.

> In cases where
> we do find that an external library offers something significantly
> better than our in-house implementation, I see no harm in "grafting" the
> relevant code-portions into the parted codebase.

Why? To remove the dependency? Such libraries should be essential
enough to be present on the base system.

Comments?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--