[parted-edge] [Parted-edge] [RFC] Proposal: 1.9.0 release as stable

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 03:50:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:53:45 -0500
Matt Davis <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:34:53PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today I did a look on the changes we have on master and they're really
> > small comparing with stable branch. It looks like we'll take years to
> > release this code if we don't change our plans now and then I propose
> > the following:
> >
> >  - work on history patch from Matt;
>
> Yay!
>
> >  - check API and hide architecture and disk specific things as
> >    possible;
>
> I agree, while I have not been on parted nearly as long as most of you all, I
> feel that code-creep can drive parts of the project to be come
> less-than-encapsulated.  It would not be bad to perform some cleanup, if at
> least peek around to see what is exposing itself and shouldn't be.

Jim Meyering has spent a _HUGE_ amount of time cleaning up the parted code base.  I think what we have now is in better shape than it was, but yes, definitely room for improvement.

> >  - spliting of fat code on a library
>
> This is a good suggestion, since it can help us solidify a vfs mentioned above.

If someone wants to start libvfat as a new project in the repo, go for it.  When it's ready, we can modify libparted to start linking with that.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA