[parted-edge] [Parted-edge] [RFC] Proposal: 1.9.0 release as stable

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Nov 5 04:45:12 UTC 2007

David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:53:45 -0500
> Matt Davis <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:34:53PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Today I did a look on the changes we have on master and they're really
>> > small comparing with stable branch. It looks like we'll take years to
>> > release this code if we don't change our plans now and then I propose
>> > the following:
>> >
>> >  - work on history patch from Matt;
>>
>> Yay!
>>
>> >  - check API and hide architecture and disk specific things as
>> >    possible;
>>
>> I agree, while I have not been on parted nearly as long as most of you all, I
>> feel that code-creep can drive parts of the project to be come
>> less-than-encapsulated.  It would not be bad to perform some cleanup, if at
>> least peek around to see what is exposing itself and shouldn't be.
>
> Jim Meyering has spent a _HUGE_ amount of time cleaning up the
> parted code base.  I think what we have now is in better shape than
> it was, but yes, definitely room for improvement.

Indeed he has done an awesome job on Parted and I'm looking forward
for his next patches :-D

>> >  - spliting of fat code on a library
>>
>> This is a good suggestion, since it can help us solidify a vfs mentioned above.
>
> If someone wants to start libvfat as a new project in the repo, go
> for it.  When it's ready, we can modify libparted to start linking
> with that.

Yes, I think this is the best thing to do. We ought to start a libvfat
tree and put code there. However I think it ought to wait until we
finish some VFS work so we get more experience on the interface for
the fs part and don't risk to need to change vfat api later again.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855